24.3.11

Chipotle Pork Tacos

I recently took a subscription to Cooking Light, a magazine that I have long adored and loved several recipes that came from them.  I was lucky in that my sister worked for Southern Progress for a few years.  She always got magazines for free (back issues) or extremely cheap (some for $.25 - yes 25 cents an issue).  This one is one of my favorite magazines, so I finely bought a subscription. 
Boy am I glad that I did!  April 2011 issue has not disappointed me.  I have 6 or 7 recipes I cannot wait to make!

This recipe I made on Sunday for LML and myself.  Neither one of us like our food too spicy, and this dish was perfect for us...just the right amount of heat.  The chipotle peppers in adobe sauce were fantastic addition and I will be experimenting with other ways to use them!  I love their smoky flavor!

Without further delay...Enjoy this recipe...I doubled it and loved every bite!


  • 1 lb. Pork Tenderloin 
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  finely grated lime rind
  • 1  tablespoon  fresh lime juice
  • 2  teaspoons  minced fresh oregano
  • 1  teaspoon  honey
  • 2  teaspoons  chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
  • 2  large cloves of garlic pressed
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • Cooking spray
  • 1  cup  thinly sliced shallots
  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 8  (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1/4  cup  reduced-fat sour cream
  • Chopped cilantro (optional)
  • shredded cheese (optional) - I just lightly sprinkled some cheese on the dish!

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots to pan; sauté for 4 minutes or until tender. Place shallots in a large bowl. Add oil to pan. Add pork; sauté for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Add pork to shallots.
3. Warm tortillas according to the package directions. Spoon 1/3 cup pork mixture onto each tortilla, and top each tortilla with 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream and cilantro. Fold in half.

1. I placed a sheet of parchement paper on the counter and covered it with plastic wrap.  I then put the tenderloin, with the fat trimmed, on plastic wrap.  I covered the pork with the plastic wrap to prevent splattering.  (I also cover my meat mallet with plastic wrap to help with cleanup!)

2. I pounded the tenderloin to about 1/4-inch thickness with a smooth side of the meat mallet.  You can use a heavy frying pan if needed.  I then cut the pork into really thin strips.  (I learned the hard way to cut them as thin as possible to make them cook up faster.)
 3.  I combined lime juice and zest, salt, honey, oregano, garlic, and chopped Chipotle peppers (and some of their adobe sauce).  Then in a large bowl I poured it over the thin slices of pork and tossed to coat it all. 
4. At this point, I took time to clean up everything that had touched the pork, including washing my hands and getting a fresh cutting board.   I then thinly sliced some shallots.
5. I used a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat to cook the shallots with just a little of the cooking spray or olive oil.  Once the shallot was caramelized just slightly, I put them in a clean bowl (large enough to add the pork to once it is cooked).
 6.  I then dumped the pork into the hot skillet. I cooked the pork until there was no pink showing and dumped it into the bowl with shallots.  I tossed it to mix the shallots evenly with the pork.  
7.  I heated my tortillas in my toaster oven. (I sprinkled a little water on them and wrapped them in foil to heat them.  You can wrap in a damp paper towel and warm in the microwave or you can heat them over an open flame too!)
My delicious pork tacos before I added sour cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment