16.1.11

Sewing Sundays

Last week, I covered a few things I have done to organize my closet, but I should have taken a before picture so that you can understand the need to write two different posts on it!

When LML's grandmother passed away, I inherited a large collection of sewing items.  In fact, some of my favorite things I inherited were here wooden thread spools with the original thread.  One day I am going to figure out how to display these items, since I cannot bring myself to use.


I also inherited loads of embroidery floss from LML's grandmother.  I have finished sorting through all the DMC brand and placing it on the corresponding labeled bobbin.  I still have a box full of other brands of floss.  They are in good shape, but I am not sure that I would want to tackle a project with floss that I may not be able to match if I run out of it.
Source: DMC
I even have these items sorted in numerical order to ensure that I can always find the color that I need.  

Another thing, I inherited was all of her buttons in a few tins.  They were a jumbled mess in these tins, so I just simple went through them and gave away all of them that I would never use.

While my closet is no where near completely organized, I do think I have made some progress.  

One of the things that I have really gotten into recently is smocking.  I have finished smocking an insert for a friends's baby, but I still need to assemble a dress (that project will be coming up in future posts).  And a goal I have for the new year is to learn how to make a bishop dress and pleat it myself.  (I know I am lucky that my mother in law has two pleaters that I can use when needed!)

With my future sewing in mind and my love of smocking plates, I think a container like this one would make for a perfect place to organizer both patterns and plates!


Source: Art Bin

Do you have any suggestions on how you organizing your sewing area?

No comments:

Post a Comment